Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I love sunflowers. But it's just now that I realized it's my favorite flower.



I tried planting a bunch of them when I was in sixth grade. This environmental endeavor didn't prove successful though. Partly because of the soil. Partly because of the sun. Partly because of me. I was sad for a long time because I really wanted to see bright colors in that too-green piece of lot. I don't know what I did wrong. My surmise now is the climate here in the Philippines isn't conducive to a sunflower's growth.

This flower always reminds of a pair of eyes. I don't know whose yet, or I don't know whose anymore. At one time, they reminded me of a first love. But when I look into those eyes now, I don't see that brightness anymore, that glint of youth and hope. All that I see now are a desperation and a fear of being lonely. He has lost that tantalizing spark. And I feel sorry for him.

But enough of that love thing, which seems to ruin every attempt I make at writing a fairly happy post. Other than eyes, which I have loved a long time ago, sunflowers always remind of warm, happy days. You can't help but picture a clear blue sky and a sun when you look at an image of a sunflower. The image it brings to my head is so vivid that I can almost feel sunrays on my skin.

One of the items on my nonexistent bucket list is to visit a sunflower field. They say there is one in California. I particularly want to visit that one because I've heard the California sun is amazing. But since I'm stuck in a country where the only way you can get your hands on a sunflower is in a flower shop, which will then charge you ten dollars or five hundred pesos for a single flower, pictures will suffice for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Heart Faint

I wrote this exactly ten years ago. About friends who don't look at each other as friends do. *** “Hoy, Cassy!” Boggs called out from be...